Steps to Reduce Carbon Monoxide Exposure at Home
Everyone knows Carbon Monoxide can kill. Now that we have our priorities straight, let’s look at a few fairly simple things each of us can do to reduce our chances of exposure to it.
- Move the car outside of the garage to warm up. Dangerous Carbon Monoxide gas created by your car can be deadly.
- Don’t heat the house with gas ovens. Ovens can produce high levels of Carbon Monoxide when the doors are left open.
- Check furnaces and water heaters to be sure the flues haven’t been damaged or disconnected.
- Verify that the flue is open when using the fire place.
- Keep areas around combustion appliances clear to avoid blocking combustion air from entering the room.
- Never burn charcoal or gas BBQ’s indoors – even in the garage.
- Don’t use unvented kerosene or gas space heaters indoors for long periods of time.
- Ensure that all combustion appliances are services by an NCI CO and Combustion certified technician annually.
- Do not start a lawnmower or other gas powered garden appliances in the garage or a shed.
- Remain aware of CO poisoning act immediately if any symptoms are realized.
- Have low level CO monitors installed.